EBYR All Over: October 2, 2015
Welcome back to EBYR All Over, a Friday roundup of all the EBYR-related news, reviews, interviews, and other interesting online content we can gather in a given week.
I’m Right Here
Written by Constance Ørbeck-Nilssen
Illustrated by Akin Duzakin
“Are you ever afraid?” William asks his grandmother. But her answer isn’t what he expects. His grandma isn’t afraid of big dogs or thunder and lightning like William is. Instead, she’s afraid that she won’t see the flowers bloom next spring. She’s afraid that she’ll miss the magpie building its nest. Most of all, she’s afraid of losing the things she loves — especially William. But then it’s William’s turn to surprise her with his response.
With soft, inviting artwork, this reassuring story contains a stirring message about the power and constancy of love.
News from Eerdmans & Elsewhere
There are plenty of picture books about finding imaginary friends, loving imaginary friends, even wistful books about letting go of imaginary friends. But few have plumbed the depths of loneliness and emotional complexity the way Van de Vendel and Van Hertbruggen do in their stunning, pithy picture book . . .
- In Search of the Little Prince by Bimba Landmann was featured in “Stories behind the stories” article by The Horn Book.
- Claudia Zoe Bedrick of Enchanted Lion Books gave a great “preview interview” to Travis Jonker, and she was kind enough to give EBYR a shout-out! We’re proud to be in the group of small publishers making big waves!
- I Am a Bear by Jean-Fançois Dumont was featured in Julie Danielson’s “Reading across Borders” article for Kirkus. “It’s a stark and striking story,” she writes, one “that certainly should prompt meaningful conversations with children.
- I Am a Bear was also included in the Children’s Book Council’s “Hot off the Press” feature for October 2015.
- Speaking of bears, Brother Hugo and the Bear was featured on the OmniLibros blog.
Have we missed any news, reviews, or other online miscellany dealing with EBYR books or authors from the last week? Please let us know in the comments. You can also post items on our Facebook page, mention us on Twitter (@ebyrbooks), or write to us directly: email@example.com.